Servings: 8 Calories: 251 Carb: 50g Protein: 11g Fat: 2g
2 large sweet potatoes, diced (peeling the potatoes is optional)
2 15oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 15oz cans of diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained (you can substitute this for 4-5 roma tomatoes, diced)
2 4oz can of diced green chile peppers, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups salsa
10 corn tortillas (we used 50 calorie Mission brand tortillas), cut in half
1/8-1/4 cup shredded dairy free cheese (Go Veggie brand)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9×12 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave them for 4-6 minutes to soften before dicing.
- In a large bowl combine: diced sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and all spices.
- Spread 1 cup of the salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a single layer of tortillas on top. Spoon a large layer of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining 1 cup of salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
- Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes until edges are browned and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers can be placed in freezer in airtight Tupperware container.