- 2 eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise (or 12 lasagna noodles, boiled)
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
LENTIL SAUCE MIXTURE
- 1 28-ounce jar favorite marinara sauce or homemade tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup rinsed and drained red lentils
- 1 12-ounce block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed dry for 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 lemons, juiced
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- optional: 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Set out two baking sheets and one large (9×13-inch or similar) baking dish.
- Generously salt eggplant slices on both sides and arrange in a colander in the sink to remove excess water for 15 minutes. (If using lasagna noodles, boil, drain and set aside.)
- Arrange slices on 1-2 baking sheets in an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- While eggplant is baking, add marinara sauce and water to a large saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Add lentils and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20-minutess until lentils are soft.
- In the meantime, make tofu ricotta. Add all ricotta ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse to combine. You want a semi-puréed mixture with bits of basil still intact. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spread a thin layer of lentil marinara sauce into your baking dish. Then layer on a few pieces of eggplant.
- Spoon half of the ricotta filling over the eggplant slices and spread into an even layer. The layers should be: ricotta filling, marinara, optional: vegan cheese, eggplant noodles, repeat.
- Sprinkle the top with vegan parmesan cheese (optional) and cover with foil. Bake at 375 F for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake for 10-15 minutes more.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, then slice with a serrated or very sharp knife, and serve with additional vegan parmesan cheese and fresh basil (optional).