• 2 cups water
• 1 cup green lentils
• 2 Tbsp olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
• 1/2 onion minced (plus more for serving)
• 1 1/2 cups finely shredded/grated carrots
• 2 Tbsp agave
• 1 1/2 tsp ground paprika
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 3/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce, plus more for serving
• 3 Tbsp water
• Cabbage, green onion, onion, cole slaw
1. Add water and lentils to a saucepan, boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 18 minutes, or until tender. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
2. When the lentils are almost finished, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil or non-stick cooking spray, onion, carrots and season with a pinch each salt and pepper. Stir to combine, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are slightly browned.
3. Add cooked lentils, agave, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, BBQ sauce and 3 tblsp water.
4. Continue cooking the mixture over medium-low heat until completely warmed through and thick, stirring occasionally – about 5-10 minutes.
5. Recommended (but not essential): Scoop half of the mixture into a food processor and mix/pulse to mash some of the lentils and carrots together. This creates a more cohesive texture.
6. Top with cabbage, green onions or whatever you’d like!