Makes 4 servings: 245 calories, 58g carbs, 2g fat, 14g protein
2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
½ cup red or green lentils
1 cup oats
8 oz mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon organic ketchup
1 tablespoon soy sauce (Bragg’s brand)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick each sweet potato several times with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very soft to the touch. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium pot, cook the lentils per package instructions. Add oats 5 minutes before the lentils are finished.
- While the lentils and oats are cooking, spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray and add the onions and garlic. Cook until soft (about 3-5 minutes). Add the chopped mushrooms, carrot and celery, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat to medium and add the lentil and oat mixture, followed by the vegetable stock, wine, tomato paste, soy sauce, paprika, parsley, and a few grinds of black pepper. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel sweet potatoes with your hands and place in a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash them into a smooth paste and season to taste with pepper.
- Evenly spread the lentil mixture into a 9-x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon the sweet potato mixture on top and smooth with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling at the edges.
- Both the filling and the roasted sweet potatoes can be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days before assembling and baking.