Servings: 2 Cal: 334 Carb: 62 Fat: 2 Protein: 19
Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium spaghetti squash
½ onion, diced
1 small package (8oz) of sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
½ bell pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 jalapeno, diced
2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped and cooked down on the stove (to make a sauce consistency)
¼-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Spices: 1 teaspoon of each – black pepper, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder
1 tablespoon soy sauce (Bragg’s brand)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
Optional topping: Vegan shredded cheese, salsa
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Cut squash in half long ways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Spray squash with non stick cooking spray then top with a dash of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Place squash in a 9×13 baking dish flat side down. Add a dash of water to bottom of pan (so it helps steam/cook the squash. Cook for 20-25 minutes (until top of squash starts to brown)
- In the meantime, heat a medium skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, sautee for 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell pepper, sautee for another 3-5 minutes. Add beans, seasonings, tomato sauce, jalapenos, cilantro and stir.
- Remove baked squash from oven and let cook for a few minutes. “Fluff” each squash boat with a fork so the strands are released, leaving the squash in the shell. Fill each “boat” with half of the mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake boats for an additional 5-10 minutes
- Top with salsa (or whatever else you would like) and enjoy!