Servings: 4 Cal: 59 Carb: 8g Fat: 2g Protein: 3g
- 9 rounds of eggplant, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Sea salt
- 5 cups unsweetened nut milk (almond or coconut)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup medium salsa, slightly drained
- 4 tablespoons green chilis
- Smoked paprika and hot sauce for added color and flavor upon serving.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Slice eggplant into thin rounds just under 1/2 inch. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt. and arrange on a plate with paper towel to help draw out some of the moisture. Let set for 10 minutes, then wipe off excess salt with paper towel.
- Arrange the dried eggplant rounds on a baking sheet lightly spritzed with non-stick spray.
- Broil on high for 4-5 minutes on each side, Once the eggplant appears tender and both sides have golden brown color, remove from the oven and wrap loosely in foil to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Unwrap and peel the eggplant skin away (eggplant should measure about 1 cup)
- Place eggplant in a blender with nut milk, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, spices, flour and 2 tablespoons green chilils. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and warm over medium to medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly – about 5 minutes (the longer it cooks the thicker it will become). Add the remaining 2 tablespoons green chilis.
- Once hot and thickened, remove from heat and stir in drained salsa. Pour into a serving dish and top with a little smoked paprika and hot sauce for added flavor.