Servings: 4 Cal: 152 Carb: 26g Fat: 2g Protein: 8g
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 4 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed + 2 tablespoons of water. Mix, let sit 15 minutes)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spices (1 teaspoon of each) – chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, torn into small crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Mash black beans in a bowl with a potato masher. Add onion, garlic and celery
- Whisk 1 tablespoon flour, water, Sriracha, and spices together in a separate small bowl. Stir this mixture into black bean mixture.
- Mix whole-wheat bread into bean mixture. Stir 3 tablespoons flour and flax egg into bean mixture until a sticky batter forms.
- Place mixture in refrigerator for 30 minutes (or freezer for 15 minutes) to harden
- Spoon 4 equal servings of mixture onto baking sheet, shape into burgers
- Bake in 350 degree oven, 10 minutes on each side (this will cook them all the way through)
- Turn oven up to 450 degrees, cook for an additional 5-8 minutes on each side (this will crisp up the outside of burger)
*NOTE – Oven cooking time will vary depending on how thick you shape your burgers. Keep an eye on them!