Servings: 24 Calories: 25 Carbs: 5g Protein: 2g Fat: 1g
2 cups chickpeas
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
6 tablespoons water
1 piece of whole wheat bread, ripped or into tiny pieces to mimic breadcrumbs (let the piece of bread sit out for a couple of hours so it is easier to make into crumbs)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley or dried thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the chickpeas. Mash with a potato masher until the chickpeas turn into a paste-like consistency. You do not want any whole chickpeas.
- Make your flaxseed “eggs” – mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 10- 15 minutes.
- Mix together the chickpeas and flaxseed eggs.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Form the chickpea mixture into meatballs and place onto a foil lined baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Use a tablespoon to measure the chickpeas. This will ensure all of them are the same size. You may need to wet your hands during the rolling process if they become sticky.
- In a 450 degree oven, bake the chickpea meatballs for 30 minutes, turning them over every 10 minutes. They will be golden and crispy on the outside when done!