Servings: 26 Calories: 36 Carb: 7 Fat: .5 Protein: 4
2 cups dried lentils
4 cups water
½ red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 zucchini, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
¾ cup dry rolled oats
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax seed + 4 tablespoons water. Mix, let sit for 5 minutes)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Spices – 1 teaspoon each paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper
- Make flax eggs, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare the lentils according to package directions. Let cool when cooking is finished and move the lentils to a food processor. Process them until they are smooth.
- Spray a large skillet with non- stick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them for about 4 minutes until translucent. Add the celery, garlic and black pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes until the veggies are tender. Allow to cool.
- Add the veggies to the lentils in the food processor. Add the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, parsley and spices. Add the flax gel to the lentil mixture and process until smooth. Transfer the lentil mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the oats, ¼ cup at a time, to the lentil mixture and mix with your hand or spoon. You want the consistency to feel firm, like it will hold up as a meatball.
- Put the lentil mixture in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Take the bowl out of the freezer and using a spoon, scoop up some of the lentil mixture and roll it into a ball with your hands. It should be the size of a golf ball. Roll it until it feels sturdy. Place it on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and flip. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with pasta, zucchini noodles or in a sandwich with marinara sauce or pasta sauce!
Want help with plant based cooking techniques, ingredient substitutions or setting up your plant based pantry?
Buy our ebook Green Zone Plant Based Cooking Guide for only $14.95!